Friday, February 8, 2008

Migration (part 5 of 8)



I am so violent in desire

I think my embrace
would tear you like a wound,
and bloody the waters around us.

I am shark breath,
the smell of brine and rot,
scales and skin and blood,
rows of teeth all down my throat,
one tooth for every
impulse to devour you.

I am a saw blade
struck with a hammer to sing,
I am a compass
pointing to the northern star in you
around which
galaxies revolve.

*

Every Friday for a total of 8 weeks I will post a section of a poem cycle called “Migration,” along with a painting of the same name.
This week’s poetry selection is a reflection on the greatest migration in human history, the movement of individuals and communities from rural-agrarian to urban-industrial environments.

Please tune in every Friday to check out this work, and visit my painting website at www.scottezellgallery.com.

Scott Ezell


Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Part Six

Part Seven

Part Eight

No comments: